The Nelson Giving Back team spent the 90° Friday afternoon volunteering by sorting food donations and packing them up for the Feeding South Dakota food pantry.
Over 70,000 pounds of food had just been donated from the mailman food drive. Our volunteering team went to work sorting each item into different categories and then continued on to box the items up so they were ready for the food pantry shelves. In 4 hours, 11 Nelson personnel and a few family members packed around 10,000 total pounds of food, drinks and miscellaneous items.
Facts about South Dakota Hunger:
- One out of every eight individuals in South Dakota is food insecure.
- One out of every six children is at risk of going hungry.
- Nearly 50% of the individuals served by Feeding South Dakota are children and infants
- 43% of South Dakota school-aged children qualify for free and reduced meals.
- 11% of the population relying on Feeding South Dakota is aged 60 years or older
Impacts of Feeding South Dakota:
- A $1 donation provides 4 meals
- Over 190,000 people provided with food every year in all 66 South Dakota counties.
- Feeding South Dakota distributes 13.5 million pounds of food to individuals in need, providing 11.3 million meals to hungry individuals across South Dakota.
- 2.2 million emergency meals are supplied by the Sioux Falls and Rapid City Food Pantries each year. Together they serve more than 90,000 people each year.
To sign up to volunteer your time or money – please visit http://feedingsouthdakota.org/how-to-help/