May 7th – 11th is “National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction” Week
DID YOU KNOW?
Fatalities caused by falls from elevation continue to be a leading cause of death for construction employees, accounting for 370 of the 991 construction fatalities recorded in 2016 (BLS data). Those deaths were preventable.
The Top 5 Most Frequent Cited Construction Violations in 2017:
- Fall Protection – General Requirements
- Fall Protection – Training
- Eye and Face Protection
*Note how 4 of the top 5 violations deal with falling and heights?
There are 3 simple steps you can take to prevent falls:
- PLAN ahead to get the job done safely
- PROVIDE the right equipment
- TRAIN everyone to use the equipment safely
Tom Froke, Nelson’s own OSHA General Industry Standard Trainer, summarizes a few safety tips you can incorporate when starting your spring projects.